First of all, what is MIG welding? It’s really just one way of performing the process of arc welding; MIG welding is really just a nickname for Metal Inert Gas welding, and it’s a type of gas metal arc welding in which a consumable wire electrode is continuously fed to the objects that are to be welded.
If you are planning to be a pro in this, it is best to learn from the pros. If you know the basic in welding already, this should not be hard for you. But then again, if you are still about to learn how to weld, it would be better to learn the basics first.
When it comes to MIG welding, the following tips might be useful for the beginners:
- For the first timers, holding the welding gun alone might already cause some discomforts. This is why it is best to be comfortable with this tool first before you level up. This way, you will easily be able to learn new skills and at the same time, you won’t be hurt in the process as well.
- Before you start your task for the day, make sure to clean the surfaces of what you are about to weld. This is quite important as this is one of the most common mistakes of welders. Not cleaning the surfaces will cause bad results.
- Considering that you are a beginner in this field, you should first choose an environment that can make you focus. At the same time, it is best to also make sure you get good ground so you can comfortably do your thing. It is best to use copper as it is known to be great in conducting electricity. Note that bad grounds can cause a lot of noise and this might destruct you.
- Every time you are going to setup to weld, you need to adjust the welding machine. Check out all the aspects that need adjustments as the result might not be as you expected if you will skip this process.
- Don’t forget to read your bead. This can help you in determining if everything is okay with your tool before you start the process of welding.
Yes, it is best to practice and practice first before starting a serious task in welding. This is something that you cannot just sit on right away. It would also be better if you read first as this can contribute to your growth in this field.